love

Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

A kickstart 'foreign and domestic'

There is this amazing website called kickstart.com it's a place for artists to fund projects they'd like to do but can't afford to do so.

Have you ever seen the show "coming home" it's when a soldier surprises his loved ones and returns from deployment and its all captured on film.

I know it would be impossible for me to do anything on that large of a scale. But I would love to give back in some way, being a new army wife and facing the possiblity of deployment.

I just submitted my project to kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/Etsy

Now what is my project?

"Foreign and Domestic"
I looked at all the ways that people can use the products I create while working on who and where to market to, alot of them are used in photographs and homes. Heres the aha moment. I would love to send one of my creations (be it an ampersand [&], An initial, or anything that the soldier feels relevant to the family) to a soldier stationed abroad. That's the Foreign part. Have a photo taken of the solider holding the piece, a small message included explaining the project, and a note to the family, and then send it back to them. But the best part is...it would all be a surprise. How cool would it be to just randomly receive something from your husband or father or mother while they are deployed, and then be able to display this in your home (the domestic part) as a reminder that your loved one touched this, it's a link between thousands of miles.
I would need funding for materials, time, and most definitely shipping...but I would love to do this for 50 soldiers and their families. Probably stationed out of Fort Bragg, but I would take soldiers requests, or suggestions from families friends, anyone with a great story. I would also create a website, facebook page, and blog to accompany these with a backstory, pictures, and updates. It would take alot of help to keep it a secret from families, and how amazing would it be to get a reaction video or photo, maybe even an interactive map so you can see how far the packages have to go, where they are, etc.

It's funded from private donors, who receive different size Letters or art pieces according to the amount they donate. But it's something close to my heart here at Fort Bragg, and I think it would be such an amazing way to connect the common people to a solider who is deployed.

Keep you updated if and when it gets picked up, but any encouragement would be great!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paige!
    Congrats on the new season in your life. I found your blog and your etsy shop and I love your stuff. I just opened an etsy shop as well....so I just wanted to encourage you!
    Allison Roach
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/awakedesigns?ref=ss_profile

    ReplyDelete